As everyone well knows, maintaining a beauty regimen while traveling has gotten more and more difficult in recent years, to the point where now it's near impossible to bring all of your favorite products unless you're checking a bag. And even then, there's a decent chance that those products won't hold up against the pressure changes associated with flying, leaving you with no product and a soggy suitcase. Fortunately, we have a few tips and product suggestions to combat those issues! Read on for our tips.
First and foremost, if you can't get over the idea of leaving behind all of your favorite liquid and cream products, invest in a variety of travel sized bottles. This set is available from Amazon for about $12, and has a verity of sizes and bottle types. Well worth it, we think!
Another one of the best ways to keep yourself pretty on-the-go is to choose multiple-use products, like Nars The Multiple. This stick is hydrating, which is great for skin when traveling, and can be used as a blush, highlighter, eyeshadow, and lip color! It comes in a variety of shades, so there's sure to be something that works for you and your destination.
If you're anything like us, the hotel-provided shampoos typically don't cut it for you. Enter Lush solid shampoos. They have a variety of formulas for differing hair needs, all with delicious scents! And they now have two solid conditioners available. Added bonus? Lush products are all natural.
Finally, depending on how long you'll be at your destination it may be beneficial to bring your favorite essentials, particularly if they have a higher price tag, and purchase other basics upon arrival. This will cut down on excess bulk and weight in your luggage. Of course, your favorite Nomaterra fragrance can come on board, and won't cause any issues in the security line!
What are your favorite tips for traveling in style? Be sure to let us know and follow us on Twitter and Facebook!
[caption id="attachment_2575" align="aligncenter" width="275"]
Tips from a Flight Attendant[/caption]
Flight Attendant Keri has spent the past six years of her life traveling for a living, and boy has she picked up some great tips for staying beautiful in flight! Read on for our interview with her!
Nomaterra: What airline do you work for?
KL: I work for United Airlines, what used to be the old Continental.
N: How long have you been working for them?
KL: I've been with them for six years!
N: Where do you fly often?
KL: I've been doing only international flights for the past 4years. I just transferred this month back to domestic flying. So normally I am all over Europe but I would work a lot of trips to Scotland, Ireland, and England.
N: What have been your favorite places to visit?
KL: I love Edinburgh! It's such an amazing city. Dublin is always a fun time. Athens was amazing and the food was to die for. Hong Kong is also really cool. And of course Paris never gets old!
N: How long do you normally get to stay in a given place?
KL: It depends on where we fly, internationally the layovers are usually 24 hours. But domestically it can be anywhere from 8 hours to 30 hours. It's always changing
N: What are your top three favorite US cities and why?
KL: That's so hard! I'm going to have to narrow it down to four:
Los Angeles: I just love the west coast. The vibe, the beach, the weather. It's a nice break
Austin: I'm a Texas girl and Austin is where it's at!
NYC: This one is just obvious. Everyone loves New York and I've been living here since I started this job. It's everything you could ever want on a tiny island.
N: What beauty secrets do you have for keeping skin and hair looking great in spite of constantly traveling?
KL: It's definitely a challenge because the air is so dry up there. So staying hydrated is a must! Drink lots of water, always have lotion, Chapstick, and eye drops. And baby powder for the hair.
N: Are you allowed to wear fragrance when you fly, and if so what do you wear?
KL: We are allowed to as long as it isn't over bearing. It can be a disaster if there's too many different smells going on. My favorite perfume is Estes Lauder Pleasures. But in the summer I'll wear more floral perfume like Gucci Flora.
N: What are your travel product essentials?
KL: Well I've become an expert packer. I always have my bag packed for any weather because things change so often that you could end up somewhere you weren't expecting. So I always have a bathing suit, gym clothes, long and short sleeve clothing, light sweater, extra under garments, make up, make up remover wipes, lotions, perfume, my watch, and a pen.
With winter still in full swing we've got island vacations on the brain, and with that in mind we want to share what we bring in our carry-on when we're beach bound.
1. Moisturizing Face Mask and Lip Balm
- What better time to sit back and give your skin some r&r than when you're on the plane? We love bring sample packets of face masks to moisturize on the plane. Sheet masks are ideal for in-flight pampering without any messiness. We like SK-II's Facial Treatment Mask
. We also need lots of extra moisture for our lips when we fly, and for that we love By Terry's Baume de Rose
. It is super silky and moisturizing without being sticky. In other words, the perfect lip balm! Other moisturizing favorites are Avene Eau Thermale Thermal Spring Water
and Korres Travel Sunscreen Face Cream Watermelon SPF 30
2.Make-Up Removing Towelettes -
Before you let your mask get to work, be sure to take off any makeup. We love Neutrogena's Night Calming Make-Up Removing Towelettes
. They get all your make-up off, even tough mascara! And they have a soothing lavender and camomile scent, perfect for those of us with any airplane anxiety.
3. Mini Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- After hours on a plane it's always nice to brush your teeth before you land. That way your smile will be ready for photos when you arrive!
- A travel must for flights with screaming babies.
5. Cashmere Sweater or Shawl
- This will be sure to keep you warm on the plane, a must to make sure you don't get sick! Ours is from Club Monaco.
6. Nomaterra Travel Spray or Travel Wipes
: Miami or East Hampton are fantastic for island destinations, and both will be a breeze to get through security!
7. Moleskine notebook and pen
- The perfect travel companion; Write out your travel itinerary, do some journaling, or start the great American novel on your flight or on the beach!
- an alternative to a sleep mask, and useful once you get to your sunny destination, too! Pick a pair with opaque lenses to keep out the glare from airplane windows and prevent other travelers from interrupting your beauty rest.
9. Change of Clothes
- In case the airline loses your bag. Be sure to toss a bikini and a pair of sandals in, too! We're big fans of Sam Edelman's sandals.
- There used to be a time when we would pick up at least three of our favorite magazines before any flight, but now we make sure to get them all downloaded and ready to go on our tablets before any flight.
And leave your watch behind, you're on island time now! What are you must haves for you carry-on?